Have a debate (Group Activity)
Here are the steps:
- Groups will research and defend a position, in debate format, focusing on one of two key concepts in use in contemporary educational practice (debates will take place during the Adobe Connect session on 4.12.15).
- The debates will be structured so that each side will have a 7 min intro, 5 minute rebuttal, and 5 min wrap up, as well as an open discussion time.
- Conditions about the debate:
- Everyone in the team should have a point to make and speak at some point in the debate.
- Note: debating teams are encouraged to make connections between their position and the theorists researched in Assignment 1. Teams are also encouraged and will be given time during the debate format for in-class demonstrations or modelling in support of their position.
Table of Concepts, Positions and Opponents
|Match-up||Team 1||Vs.||Team 2||Team 3||Vs.||Team 4|
|Be it resolved that:
‘Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL)’ and the use of Virtual Learning Environments suggest that learning at the vocational education level can take place completely on-line.
|Be it resolved that:
All learning at the vocational education level can and should have a measurable outcome.
The debates will take place during the last AC session on December 4, 2015.
How you will be assessed
Assessment for this activity will be made on as a group on a scale (1 to 5) using the following criteria:
Debate work (and winners) will be assessed based on the following criteria:
|Research and Support|
|Did the team present sufficient evidence in support of their position?|
|Was evidence relevant to their position?|
|Did the team provide specific examples of how the concept would be supportive or challenging for use in vocational education?|
|Did the team effectively use audio or visual supports during the debate?|
|Did the team respond well to the opponents questions?|
|Did all team members participate equally in the debate?|
|Did the team provide specific connections between their position and any of the theorists discussed in assignment 1?|
|Did the team use any theorists or other research to refute their opponents’ position?|
|Did the team make reference to supportive material offered in blog posts?|
|Demonstration / Modelling|
|Did the team offer a hands-on demonstration in support of their position?|
|Did this demonstration involve debate participants outside of their own team?|